• Bordeaux players refused to train in protestGus Poyet was suspended by Bordeaux on Friday following his rant against the club’s owners, with his players refusing to train in protest against the treatment of the former Brighton and Sunderland manager. The former Chelsea and Tottenham midfielder hit out after the 2-1 win over FC Marioupou in the Europa League having been informed striker Gaëtan Laborde had been sold to Montpellier without his knowledge. Continue reading...
• Molde 3-0 Hibernian (Molde win 3-0 on agg)Rangers held their nerve in Maribor as Allan McGregor’s stoppage-time penalty save sealed the 0-0 draw which took Steven Gerrard’s men into the Europa League play-offs. The Rangers manager vowed on Wednesday that he would not park the bus and look to protect their 3-1 first-leg lead. But the Light Blues had to grit their teeth as the Slovenian club came for them at the Ljudski Stadion, with McGregor capping off a fine display as he repelled Marcos Tavares’s late spot‑kick. Continue reading...
• Jack Cork strikes in extra time to finish the job for ClaretsAn extra time goal from the substitute Jack Cork took Burnley into a final play-off against Olympiakos to try and claim a place in the Europa League proper, mercifully saving this most tepid of encounters from the farce that would have been a penalty shoot-out. Based on the 90 minutes that preceded Cork’s goal it would have been interesting to see if either of the sides could have worked up any enthusiasm for a win. A low-key, low-tempo fixture drifted inexorably towards extra time with no one apparently willing to step up the pace to force a result, until Burnley finally broke the deadlock seven minutes into the overtime period. Continue reading...
• El Clásico would remain in Spain under proposals La Liga is set to stage a regular-season match in the United States, possibly as early as this year, but a clásico between Real Madrid and Barcelona is pretty much out of the question. The league said on Thursday it is planning to play a match across the Atlantic as part of a new 15-year partnership with the sports and entertainment group Relevent to promote the game in North America. The group operates the International Champions Cup, the world’s largest summer club tournament. Barcelona and Real Madrid faced each other in the tournament in Miami last year. Continue reading...
• Saúl Ñíguez scores brilliant volley in extra timeReal Madrid began life without Cristiano Ronaldo with an extra-time defeat to bitter rivals Atlético Madrid in the Uefa Super Cup. Quickfire goals from Saúl Ñíguez and Koke gave Atletico a 4-2 win in Estonia in Real’s first competitive match since their club record goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo was allowed to join Juventus for £99.2m. Continue reading...
New Arsenal manager Unai Emery has previously worked at Valencia, Sevilla and Paris Saint-Germain. At which club did he last just six months in 2012?
Red Star Belgrade
Which two national teams has new Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa managed?
Italy and Spain
Argentina and Chile
Uruguay and Argentina
Chile and Brazil
Julian Nagelsmann will leave Hoffenheim to take over as RB Leipzig manager at the end of this season. How old is Nagelsmann?
Thomas Tuchel has become the new Paris Saint-Germain manager, replacing Emery. At which club was Tuchel given his first managerial post back in 2009?
New Bayern Munich manager Niko Kovac won the German Cup last season – by beating Bayern Continue reading "Football quiz: are you up to speed on the managerial merry-go-round?"